Old 17-05-2011, 03:39 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalguy2k8[_2_] View Post
Just noticed plenty of aphid activity on a few plants, was thinking of (or
rather being nagged into) ordering some ladybird adults & larvae and a house
and food.

Would I be better off spraying the infestation with aphid-killer and
chucking 40 quid over the fence instead? I still have a hard time believing
that if I buy ladybirds, they're not going to bugger off into the atmosphere
without even a thank-you as soon as my back's turned. I reckon I might as
well buy a 40 quid jam jar full of air and release it into my garden, and
have the same chances of finding some of it still there the next day.

Anyone with opinions/experiences?
I have never seen so many ladybirds about as I have this winter/spring. They seem to be hiding in every tree, every bunch of dry grass, every window case, every curtain, every shed. I presumed this was related to the invasion of introduced harlequin ladybirds. Harmonia axyridis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And, perhaps unsurprisingly, hardly a hint of an aphid in the garden this year. If your garden isn't chock full of ladybirds already, well perhaps the harlequins haven't invaded you yet, or perhaps they don't seem to like it there.