Old 17-05-2011, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Mystery Lilac

On 2011-05-15 20:04:13 +0100, Dave Hill said:
snip

Is this the same plant? *If so, Ray can't remember thename but thinks
it's Something nepaulensis that he was given to him a few years ago. *
Ours is now about 8' tall now and is in full flower, just starting to
go over but also still with buds on it.http://i55.tinypic.com/2ivcn6u.jpg
I'm going to send the pics to Phil Clayton at The Garden and see if he
knows it or knows a man that does!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Yours seems to have wider leaves and larger panicles of flower but it
looks as if they are relatives, or just different strains.
Looking at this sitehttp://www.lottah.com/lilacs/images.htm*the
nearest is S. x persica, from what I can see of the one leaf showing
S. x persica AGM Small, panicles of scented, lilac flowers in May.
Leaves are narrow, pointed and mid to dark green, deciduous. Height a
slender branched shrub to about 2 metres. Spread 1.5to 1.8 metres.

They do seem remarkably similar. *If I hear back from Phil, I'll post
his answer, obviously. *Otherwise, I could always send you a sprig from
ours for comparison. *I'll see what Phil comes *up with in the next
couple of days.

Just received this:

"Hi Sacha, Mike Grant, our resident botanist and I had a look at the
mystery lilac here- it looks most like Syringa x josiflexa to us,
although it is probably not 'Bellicent' -the colour is wrong-
apparently other selections exist but are not widely grown. I’ll send
to Roy as well- he is away at the mo. "

So what do you think, Dave? Does that sound/look possible to you for
your plant, being a cousin of this one?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Sorry Sacha I that that was yours, The leaves are much to broad for
mine, still have L. persica as the closest