Old 17-05-2011, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Right time to take the seeds

On Tue, 17 May 2011 Jake wrote:

Have some wisteria with quite small seed pods about 2cm long and 3mm wide.
How does one know the right time to take the seeds for propogation please?

Wisteria grown from seed is unlikely to flower for 20 years or so. You
could try cuttings now but layering is probably a much easier way to
propagate them (again, now's about the right time for that).

Too right. My brother gave me a wisteria seed pod about twenty years ago
- may even have been more because we've been in our present house for
thirty years. I duly sowed the seeds and have one of them in my garden
at present. It has never flowered and received wisdom is that it never
will.

David

http://rance.org.uk