Old 17-05-2011, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Get rid of foxes by....

On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:47:52 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On May 17, 6:26*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 17/05/2011 16:25, David Rance wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 mogga wrote:

Consider removing earthworms from your garden (some products may be
available from DIY or garden centres)

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

Isn't that a bad idea?

The person that wrote that obviously knows nothing about gardening.

It is rather funny though. It take it is not an April 1st edition?

I wonder if anyone has been daft enough to introduce New Zealand
flatworms into their garden to try and follow this advice.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Watering a solution of Potasium permanganate will bring the worms to
the surface to die, I wonder if it does the sme to New Zealand
flatworms.

I read somewhere a while back that any chemical that kills earthworms
kills flat worms and, unfortunately, vice versa. Jusy killing all your
earthworms won't kill the flatworms as they can live for up to 2 years
without feeding (though they become flatter) and within that time, no
doubt, the normal worms will have found their way back.

What is interesting is that (1990s legislation) if you have NZ
flatworms in your garden it's illegal to allow them to escape from it
unless you can prove you have taken all reasonable measures to prevent
that escape. How the hell do you do that, I wonder?

Find a flatworm. Panic. Immediately dig trench half a mile deep all
round garden and fill it with impenetrable concrete to half a mile
above ground. Sorry sir! Not enough, you should have taken steps to
prevent it climbing over the barrier ;-).

You could always risk importing some Tasmanian gnat maggots. They seem
to be very partial to flatworms though we don't know what else they
are partial to yet and they might be little devils.

I also discovered today that I mustn't let cotoneaster horizontalis
get from my garden into the wild ("wild" is around two sides of my
garden). Does this mean that I must start shooting any bird that flies
off with a berry in its beak in case that bird eats the berry and
poops out the seed?