Old 17-05-2011, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default I'm new to this site and need some advice.

On Tue, 17 May 2011 07:09:45 +0000, hazella
wrote:

We have been doing it bit by bit, slowly but surely, most of it is going
to be lawned especially where the kids part is, the top part of the
garden is having flower beds and some decking put in.

It may be easier to import topsoil instead of improving what you have
for a lawn. It is hard to say without seeing it. Is this area in the
sun? You won't grow much grass unless it gets at least a few hours
per day of sun.

I live in norwich
on the outskirts near long stratton, so its nice countryside and i want
a nice garden to go with it not a uncontrollable jungle, also we do have
a roller that we borrowed from a neighbour but its hard work as the
ground is so hard to do anything with, my eldest does help, the other
two are too young yet which is a shame.

I though the soil was too hard, so why are you compacting it further?
I would have thought you need to open it up. Rollers are used where
for some reason (bowling green) you need a firm smooth grassy surface,
they don't help the grass grow, quite the reverse bowling greens etc
have to be drilled to relieve the compaction.