Old 18-05-2011, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default NY Is WET!

On May 18, 9:30*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:09:32 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
On May 17, 7:30*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 14:26:30 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
On May 17, 6:49*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Like water off a duck's back. . . .

http://i55.tinypic.com/zl3yo3.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/211o2fd.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2yuyog6.jpg

Nice to have waterfowl in your yard, but if you're in Brooklyn you can
see much more interesting ducks than mallards if you take a short trip
to Jamaica Bay.

Jamaica Bay IS Brooklyn. *I know that area intimately... wear a hat
lest the gulls shit on your head.http://www.brooklynbirdclub.org/jamaica.htm

Having did my doctoral research on tern reproductive success in the
NYC area, I can only concur- except that most of Jamaica Bay National
Wildlife Area lies within Queens county.

Do you really believe that wildlife observes man made geographical
borders? *Actually that entire area is geographically part of Long
Island. *Long before that area was sanctioned by Congress (1972) it
was my childhood playground, I roamed it all freely by foot and
bicycle. *In *1950 a seven year old could safely travel all of NYC and
LI alone, day and night. *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway...ecreation_Area

What that has to do with the location of Jamaica Bay, I cannot
imagine. The question was not what the birds see. I also grew up on
Long Island (in Queens) and rode and hiked all over as a kid.

And yes, Jamaica Bay- most of it- lies mainly in Queens County.

Chris