Old 18-05-2011, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Orange honeysuckle

On May 18, 10:50*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article eb7ad594-4304-486e-905e-
,
says...

On May 17, 2:07*pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Took the car in to have the insurance estimate done and in their car
park are the usual run of the mill shrubs and amongst them was a
fantastic Orange flowered Honey suckle, I've looked on line and find
Orange Honeysuckle (Lonicera ciliosa), but is described as having
small flowers, and the petal formation is different.
See pics,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rangehoneysuck...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rangehoneysuck...

Not as good as they could be as I had to take the flower to the camera
so about 45 mins without water in the car.
It flowere look almost like Montbretia flowers.
I am trying cuttings, failing that I will be back for seed.
David

Without a doubt that is Lonicera x tellmaniana a cross between Lonicera
sempervirens and Lonicera tragaphylla, not a very strong scent but wonderful
colour and loves a shady place. Fully hardy.

Cuttings are easy (internodal)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvshttp://www.roselandhouse.co.uk-Hide quoted text -

Thats the one Charlie, Thanks,
Just hope they will root near the node as most of the cuttings I took
I cut down to about 2 inches below the nodes as the spacing was about
8 inches between the pairs of leaves. Still I can go back, also want
to try some seed as there are no other honeysuckles in the area.

I usually leave 1-2" below the node depending on whether I am wearing my
glasses or not(using a razor blade too close to your fingers if you cant
see properly is a high risk occupation!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

That raises an interesting question.
How internodal is internodal?
I suppose I have always taken it as being half way between sets of
leaves, but I suppose you could call any rooting that isn't from the
leaf node as being internodal.