Old 18-05-2011, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Mud for nest-building

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...
On one of my habitual walks yesterday I saw a swallow or two trying to get
mud from the edge of a grotty puddle. This is in a patch of farmland near
an SSSI wood, but I don't know of a barn or substitute for miles around.
So I don't know where the nest would have been.

The moral: if you have potential nest sites, don't merely put out nice
clean drinking and bathing water - keep some muddy puddles as well!

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@" and
substitute "plus" for +.

This was a news snippet put out by the RSPB yesterday and I meant to post it
then but was busy.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.