Old 18-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Drobium Drobium is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire
Smile

I have Z. ovata at home and have been growing it at work for many years (I work at a plant nursery and do all of the alpine and perennial propagation there).
I love the stuff! It's one of my favourite plants at this end of the year I mean' it looks great, it's easy to grow and propagate from softwood cuttings.
But it's that fragrance...like stephanotis and allysum mixed together, but sweeter.

We have several in small 1lt pots that we keep as houseplants to fragrance the rooms at night and they are doing a much better job than any air freshener lol!
If you keep one or two plants on rotation and swap one indoors and one outdoors every week, then they grow well, don't bolt or get too leggy and you can enjoy the fragrance indooors for around 3 months of the year!!!

The soil i use is just multi-purpose with some osmocote slow release fertiliser in it, and then I just give them a sunny windowsill and water them just enough to keep them perminantly moist....they really are very easy.

Overwintering if fine, just keep them on the dry side and in a sheltered part of the garden or prefereably a glasshouse or conservatory.

Here's a shot of one of mine.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/x...ers2011008.jpg
Yay! it's spring!