Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave

Default need to get rid of hair algae!

"Dave M. Picklyk" empowered us with this mighty blow
against the Patriarchy:

I really need to get rid of some hair algae growing on the driftwood
and plants. Right now I'm controlling it by removing infected leaves,
scrubbing driftwood etc. I have a 15 gallon aquarium, do weekly 25
percent water changes, 0 phospates, 0 nitrates, adding only iron and
trace elements to the water, only a couple measely plants--I've just
added C02 a few days ago and I will be adding tons more plants. Will
the addition of more plants severely out-compete the algae? I have 2
corys, 3 otos, and a beta fish. My tank is too small for SAEs, I don't
really like shrimp or snails, florida flag fish can take chunks outa
my plants, ameca splendens (butterfly goodieds) get to big for the
tank and might bully the beta...

I have a Florida flag fish (or whatever people want to call it -
Jordanella floridae!) and it has never taken a bite out of my plants. It
ate all my thread algae, though I've never seen it eat hair algae.