Old 18-05-2011, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Figs in UK

On Wed, 18 May 2011 18:21:14 +0000, kay
wrote:

'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:
;921999']
Figs fruit on 2 year old wood, not on new growth.

An interesting comment, Pam. I've just looked at the two in my
greenhouse. The Brown Turkey has about an inch of green growth at the
end of each branch which it has put on this year, and this green growth
has embryonic figs which I expect to be ripe end Aug/early Sep, ie
definitely figs on new wood. The cutting of unknown identity as put on
about two feet of new growth this year, and not a fig in sight. If it's
not going to put figs on till the second year, then I need to be
pinching out tips.

I'm going on some advice given on GQT by, I think, Chris Beardshaw, as
they had had a lot of questions about growing figs. It was early this
year.
I carefully took notes, but have lost the piece of paper! Maybe it's
archived somewhere on the net.
Quite good advice he
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...grow-figs.html

The fruit on mine are on last year's wood. I'm amazed at how early
the fruit have started to swell, as it's been out all winter. Time
will tell.

Pam in Bristol