Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
TimmyBrisby

Default Tampa tap water + phosphates

Hi Leigh,

I contacted my city, and they don't test for or add any phosphates. However, I
do live in the phosphate capitol (FL). AFA green water, this has puzzled me for
some time. My 55 gallon has been cloudy (like about 18" visibility from the
side) for about as long as the tank has been set up (6 months). However, my 10
gallon is crystal clear (2 months). Recently I got pea green water (I know the
cause) and under certain lighting it looked the same as my old cloudy water. So
it's either algae or dust, I figure. I'm going to assume it's the first one and
plant heavily with stems. If that doesn't work, I figured I would just get a
HOT Magnum. does that sound reasonable? FWIW the 10 uses gravel, and the 50
uses coarse sand. Maybe dust, but I figure I can try plants first and just see.
BTW, is Seachem a good test for phosphate and iron?

Thanks

Ben
Remove nospam to reply.

"Every turkey dies. Not every turkey truely lives."