Old 19-05-2011, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Pea sprouts lying on ground - whose to blame?

On 19/05/2011 12:14, Davy wrote:
This year, never happened before, but when my peas
germinate, I find the 10mm shoot lying on the ground -
not attached to its roots.
Anyone experienced this and now what the culprit might
be?
Davy

The usual suspects I imagine. Slugs or snails. IME they take one bite at
ground level and move on to the next plant.
Marigolds are their all time favourite though, and are normally mature
enough in Spring to occupy them full time. A few sacrificial plants
dotted about might help next time.
This year I did my sweet peas in plastic freezer bags and tied the tops
to the sticks until they got going