Old 19-05-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy[_3_] Davy[_3_] is offline

Default Pea sprouts lying on ground - whose to blame?

Davy wrote in news:Xns9EEA7C9A9F7D5DavyS@
216.196.109.145:

This year, never happened before, but when my peas
germinate, I find the 10mm shoot lying on the ground -
not attached to its roots.
Anyone experienced this and now what the culprit might
be?
Davy

Slugs & snails or mice have been suggested.

After sowing the peas I covered them with a tunnel of
10mm mesh (open at ends) and liberally scattered slug
pellets.

I don't see any slime trails so mice are currently the
favourites - unless you know different? But why would
mice cut through the base of the sprouts and not eat the
sprouts? I can't see any signs of the peas seeds being
dug for or pulled up.

Davy