Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
redled

Default need to get rid of hair algae!

I think one flag fish would be fine. Please double check, but I don't
think they need "friends" to be happy, like many fish do. Actually,
when I bought my flag fish, I also bought 8 cardinals for a different
tank. I was warned about putting them in the same tank, as the
cardinals were very small (about 1/2") and the flags were full grown
(just over 2"). I wouldn't call them aggressive, but they may or may
not eat a smaller cardinal. If you can find large cardinals, I think
you'd be OK. Flag fish seem to be one of those fish that are nothing
but trouble for some, but totally docile for others. So far mine have
been very timid, they won't even come to the surface to eat. Try and
do some searching on groups.google.com for people's experiences before
you get some. It seems like if you can keep them happy they will not
be too much trouble.

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message . ca...
Really? Cool. Would just one flag fish be fine for a 15 gallon? I'm going to
be adding about 10-15 cardinals in there next month. They wouldn't hassle
any of the fish at all??

Thanx

"redled" wrote in message
a...
In article , "Dave M.

Picklyk" wrote:
I really need to get rid of some hair algae growing on the driftwood and
plants. Right now I'm controlling it by removing infected leaves,

scrubbing
driftwood etc. I have a 15 gallon aquarium, do weekly 25 percent water
changes, 0 phospates, 0 nitrates, adding only iron and trace elements to

the
water, only a couple measely plants--I've just added C02 a few days ago

and
I will be adding tons more plants. Will the addition of more plants

severely
out-compete the algae? I have 2 corys, 3 otos, and a beta fish. My tank

is
too small for SAEs, I don't really like shrimp or snails, florida flag

fish
can take chunks outa my plants, ameca splendens (butterfly goodieds) get

big for the tank and might bully the beta...

please help?

Thanx!!
Dave.

My florida flag fish seem to ignore plants and eat hair algae. If you

keep
them well fed I think they should be OK. I have two in a ten gallon and

they
don't seem to impact the plants.

__
"Insert witty comment here."