View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old 20-05-2011, 09:58 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_stone View Post
Thankyou Sacha and everyone else who replied.

Regards,
If your wildlife garden includes an area of longer grass and flowers, especially if it's in the sun and bordered by shrubs, you should find speckled wood moving in. I believe they defend their particular patch of grassland, so that means they're around for a long period, and you get interesting displays as they deter outsiders.

You won't nowadays attract the large numbers of butterflies that I remember from my childhood, more just the odd one or two here and there.

It's worth getting more interested in bumblebees - once you start looking, there are quite a few different types, and they are still relatively abundant. They'll come to the same sort of nectar-full easy to get at flowers that you're providing for your butterflies.

Wat you will get unfortunately depends on what is around you. If you're surrounded by a lot of small hard-landscaped, highly-chemicalled gardens you'll get fewer things than if you are close to an area of rough ground and all your neighbours are organic.