Old 20-05-2011, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Wildlife gardening - attract butterflies

"Sacha" wrote

Mike stone said:

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking forward to
looking through the older posts to see what discussions have been going
on.

I've been working on creating a wildlife garden to attract birds and
animals to my urban back garden.

What flowers to people recommend to attract butterlfies?
Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Buddleias are probably the best known. They like Sedums and Eupatorium
atropurpurea drives them mad.

Also good are Marjoram and Origano, herbs that are good for the kitchen and
will be covered in Butterflies and Bees of all descriptions. Trim them with
garden shears in the early spring. Even Thyme and Rosemary will attract
lots of Bees especially Bumbles and best to just let them grow.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden