Old 20-05-2011, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy[_3_] Davy[_3_] is offline

Default Pea sprouts lying on ground - whose to blame?

harry wrote in news:cbb44f3e-
2422-46d3-b7f0-815e22ad9e03
@z19g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

On May 19, 12:14*pm, Davy wrote:
This year, never happened before, but when my peas
germinate, I find the 10mm shoot lying on the

ground -
not attached to its roots.
Anyone experienced this and now what the culprit

might
be?
Davy

Mice.

I think I can now rule out mice. This morning all the
new germinations were cut off. Examined very carefully
and no signs of digging or of the seed being dug up.

Still no slug slime around the slug pellets.

So I am coming to think that it is something that
lives in the soil that is cutting my pea shoots;
undersoil slugs have been suggested.

DAvy