Old 20-05-2011, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Damping Off

On 5/20/11 7:59 AM, pauncho wrote:
Hello how do I get rid of Damping off disease can't find Cheshunt
Compound any more regards Frank

Damping off generally affects seedlings and cuttings. I use a
half-and-half mix of coarse sand and peat moss with NO added nutrients.
The mix drains exceptionally well, so it's not soggy. It readily
admits oxygen, and it's slightly acidic. All of these help prevent and
even combate damping off.

Added nutrients promote fungus and rot. Damping off is a fungus. I
don't add any nutrients for seedlings until I see leaves beyond the
initial seed leaves. (But see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_start_seeds.html.) I don't add
nutrients to cuttings until they are repotted after being well rooted.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean