Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave Millman

Default need to get rid of hair algae!

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

I really need to get rid of some hair algae growing on the driftwood and
plants. Right now I'm controlling it by removing infected leaves, scrubbing
driftwood etc. I have a 15 gallon aquarium, do weekly 25 percent water
changes, 0 phospates, 0 nitrates, adding only iron and trace elements to the
water, only a couple measely plants--I've just added C02 a few days ago and
I will be adding tons more plants.

Tons more plants is good.

I notice that you are dosing Iron. I was able to eliminate hair algae by
reducing overdosing of Iron.

The flag fish that folks have recommended seem to really like hair algae, as do
Amano Shrimp. But these are band aids which do not address the core nutrient
problem.