Old 20-05-2011, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Squash killing grubs

"RayneGirl" wrote...

I am a very newbie gardener from Cheshire. I decided to try & grow some
courgette and pumpkin for the first time this year. I grew them from
seeds in a propagator, but very soon after I planted them out, they all
started to wilt & die.

I pulled one of the stems up today & found a small hole in it, at about
soil level.

When I looked in the whole, I found lots of tiny grubs. I have no idea
what they are or how to stop them.

I have a few more seedlings on my window sill waiting to be planted out,
but I'm afraid they''ll be munched too!

Does anyone know what these are or how to stop them?

I've taken a picture of them too - 'ImageShack® - Online Photo and
Video Hosting' (http://tinyurl.com/3cchbtz)

I've done a search on the forum & I've seen mention of squash bugs &
borers, but they all sound like they are endemic to the states?

It certainly looks like the Squash Vine Borer..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_vine_borer

Personally I would contact the RHS at Wisley and send them your photos etc
so they can identify the problem and deal with the consequences. It may be
we now have an outbreak of the Squash Vine Borer in the UK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden