Old 21-05-2011, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Time of day to water?

On 2011-05-21 05:39:38 +0100, dimsey said:

Is it better to water garden plants in the late evening or early
morning?

In hot weather, both or either. *But in hot weather the water won't
evaporate quickly if plants are watered in the evening. *In cold
weather, we do any watering that's needed in the morning so the plants
can drain and dry out a bit before the night cold sets in. *We don't
want them sitting around in cold, wet compost all night.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

In my younger days I was market gardening outside Hastings, in realy
dry weather we would be using the irrigation spray lines 24 hours a
day, and I cant say we ever had scorch on anything, our main crop was
lettuce but we also grew a roange of other veg.
You are more likley to fet scorch from leaves that have got to dry so
that when watered the plants can't re-hydrate properly.
With hardy plants and ourside growing crops I would choose to water in
the evening as the plants have around 12 hours to take up the water.
In this dry weather,if you can, when watering just apply a good amount
of water at the base of the plants, so that it can soak down to the
roots and beyond, you want the roots to go down after ater and not
come close to the surface where they will dry out faster.