Old 21-05-2011, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Sprinkling sugar around tomato plants?

"Mike Lyle" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote ...

Someone said that tomatoes can be made sweeter by sprinkling a little
sugar around the plants. Would this really work? Would the plants
absorb
the sugar and store it in the tomatoes? I'm somewhat dubious.

The question "why do you want them sweet?" springs to mind. If you do why
not do what an acquaintance does and sprinkle sugar over his salad.

Good man! Vegetables do need a degree of natural sweetness, of course;
but I want tomatoes to taste most strongly of tomato, not sugar.
Supermarket ones, needless to say, taste of neither.

It's like bought frozen peas, all they taste of is sweet, no pea taste at
all. We leave our peas on the plant until they have proper taste (and lose
some sweetness) and then freeze them ourselves, so much nicer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden