Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM

Default what are good levels for nitrates in planted aqua?

"Dave" wrote in message

I just got a nitrate tester kit and found out that my 48 gal. has
about 7-8 mg/L of nitrates. Is that getting pretty low for plants? My
15 gal. has absolutely no traceable amounts of nitrates...this means
that all the available nitrogen is being used and that possibly some
are starving for nitrogen. What can I do to add more nitrates into the
system?

Use can use KNO3 to add more.
NO3 test kits are seldom decent, Lamott is one of the few that are
relatively consistent.
5-10ppm or so is a good range to shoot for.
Regards,
Tom Barr