Old 21-05-2011, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Hardening off

On Sat, 21 May 2011 13:17:06 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Judith wrote:

I'd be interested in the experiences of others - and views as to whether it is
worth it.

I'm new to greenhousing, having got mine put up this sprig:
My guess is that if you do as the commercial greenhouses do: optimum
temps, light, feeding; everything for the quickest growth to saleable size,
hardening off is probably a good idea. If you're "economical" like me, and
don't like to pay for supplemental heat, and don't feed all that heavily,
the plants won't have such a radical adjustment to the great outdoors.
One of the many things I've got to do is rig up a few 12-volt computer
fans, probably powered by the solar panel I bought a while back, to keep
the air stirred up. I understand a bit of exercise is good for plants,
too!

My hardening off routine is the first weekend following 19 May
(there's a tradition in that) everything gets laid out on the lawn and
gets a good watering and feeding. This allows me to work out what I've
actually grown and to reorganise everything properly as it goes away
again so I can find it the following week when all the containers get
planted up.

This scientific approach has never failed to work for me.

I also find that plants grow better if they are disturbed. I haven't
rigged up fans but use a soft masonry paint brush to tease them once a
week with a light brush over. Daft but it works.