Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
TimmyBrisby

Default Tampa tap water + phosphates

Hi Tom,

And why do assume it's the PO4

It gets talked about a lot the connection between PO4 and algae. So I thought
I'd check it.

NH4 is a good cause of algae, most FW areas in FL are Nitrogen
limited, not PO4 limited.

I am nitrogen limited, so I do add Nitrate. I hadn't been diligent on my PMDD
dutys for the past month or so. I started adding nitrate a couple of days ago
and there has been a noticable inprovement. Looking at this, I would say I
had/have high phosphate + limited nitrate. I don't think the swords would be
able to outcompete the algae, so I'll get a bunch of stems (which would grow
fast enough to hopefully outcompete the algae, right?).

Does your tank freeze over every year or does it stay a constant 70's
F?

It's an unheated tank and will get down to the 60s, but does not freeze (I live
in Florida ;-)

Good plant health is the key to prevention in the future.

Ditto. Been trying to get that on track for a while

Thanks Tom. I think I'm the right track with the Nitrate.

Ben
Remove nospam to reply.

"Every turkey dies. Not every turkey truely lives."