Old 22-05-2011, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardening off

On 22/05/2011 16:24, Gary Woods wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Are you an ex-Brit, or do you find a UK-based group particularly useful
for your needs? I

The latter; the temperature zones don't match, but a lot of the gardening
knowledge I find here does. And I grew up in New England (Massachusetts,
30 miles N of Boston (the American one), where you folks would find a lot
of the town and county names familiar...

Been there, done that. Not just as a leaf peeper (and those who think
that in recent years the colours of tree leaves in UK gardens in autumn
have been the equal of anything in New England simply can never have
been to New England in the Fall), but also in Spring, visiting all of
the NE states.

Did you ever visit "Garden in the Woods" in North Framingham when you
lived in Massachusetts? Very well worth seeing.

The strange thing about gardening where you are and where we are is the
difference the extremes of temperature you experience make. You can't
grow stuff which doesn't like it cold; we can't grow woody stuff that
needs extreme heat to harden the wood and get it to flower.

--

Jeff