Old 23-05-2011, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default passion flower donations.

Sacha wrote:
Do you mean the Passion flowers that grow outdoors, P. caerulea or P
caerulea Constance Elliott which is the white one? Because if you mean
the more exotic indoor conservatory/greenhouse varieties, they're more
expensive and less likely to be just given away. Otoh, people with the
'garden' hardy ones may well have one or two to spare, if you'e lucky.
You could also check your local paper/parish magazine (if there is one)
for info on plant sales and indeed, car boot sales because plants often
show up at those.

On a slight side-note - is the fruit from the hardy variety edible? There
is a huge fruiting plant that grows over a wall (presumably from a garden
rather than wild) near me, and the fruit get to what looks like 'ripe' size
and colour, but I was always under the impression that only the non-hardy
variety were edible.

Mind you, having said that, the cherry tree opposite my house is meant to be
non-edible, but I've eaten the cherries from it with no problems for the
past few years! (when the parrots and pigeons don't get them first)