Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Flandry

Default Some lighting and retrofit questions

tose (LeighMo) wrote in message ...
So, has anybody else found themselves in the same situation? What did
they do?

If cost was an issue, I would buy a glass canopy hood for the tank. (Buying
online is usually cheapest.) Then get a 4' shop light from Home Depot ($15 or
so) and sit it on top of the glass. Cheap, easy, no tools needed.

Leigh

I see that you're using CFs on your tanks. Have you ever used the
shop light approach? I was trying to figure out if the more efficient
reflectors, ballasts, and bulbs as well as the longer bulb life would
make CFs more economical in the long run. Hmm...

The tank is in the common room of my dorm, and i don't think i can
make it as hideously ghetto as a simple shoplight sitting on top of
the tank will probably look. I'd have to make something resembling a
hood to cover it.

After doing some more research on what's available besides shoplights
in NO fluorescents, i'm leaning towards the 110W CF retrofit from
AHSupply: a bit more money now for a cleaner looking, more long-term
solution. I still am wondering if 110Watts crammed into the original
40W light strip case will get too hot.

Anybody have comments on the MH vs CF question from the original post?
Is there any reason to use MH if i'm going to be spending $100 on
the retrofit? ARE they more efficient than CFs?