Old 23-05-2011, 10:56 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Double trouble

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I has one fox a few weeks ago, now I have a pair. Last week on two
successive days they were out and about in daylight in clear view.

They are lovely animals:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...okThiefDuo.jpg

Sorry about the quality but a really big lens would be required to do
much better.

Like snakes there is a limit to how tolerant you can be even if they
are cute. A neighbour has lost two ducks and six chooks.

Both days I sent to pups after them. Leila went along for the fun of
it but Flynn was deadly serious, chasing flat out into the gully. I
couldn't see what happened but there was quite some high pitched
squealing so either he caught one or it was very close and the fox was
in a panic and ummm shall we say soiled itself. Flynn came back
looking very smug.

They haven't reappeared in daylight since and the swamp hens and
herons are about in the vicinity so they may have decided they don't
like my place so much. Good boy Flynn!

David

Gee, I know they're pests and a nuisance and all that, but what
beautiful creatures they are!

Years ago, we used to feed our horses very early in the morning, before
work. One morning, my sister and I sat in the car, sipping coffee from a
thermos. As we sat there, a female fox slunk out of the bush and sidled
right up to the stableyards. As we watched in amazement, she hopped into
the trough and began helping the horse with his breakfast (hot bran
mash). The horse never missed a beat, continuing to chomp away and
barely recognising the interloper. After a minute or two, Ms Vixen
hopped out of the trough and trotted off with a large lump of bran mash
in her mouth. We saw this happen many times and eventually the dog fox
came as well. On one occasion, my brother-in-law reckons he came around
the stable corner and found a fox curled up on the rugged back of the
big eventer in his stable! I find this hard to believe, but the b-i-l
insists to this very day that he saw it.

We saw the pair and, eventually, a couple of their offspring for most of
a year, but then they moved on. They were beautiful, just like your
pair, David!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia