Old 23-05-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Pruning a clematis

On Sun, 22 May 2011 17:24:33 +0100, Alistair Tyrrell
wrote:

Hi all,

We've only been in this house a few months and so we're enjoying what
the garden surprises us with.

There's a highly fragrant clematis that's just finished flowering. Pale
mauve flowers, with 4 round-ended petals, fairly dark green leaves and
dark stems. On a north-east facing wall and about 2m tall now. It had a
massive display of flowers a month or so ago and filled the entire house
with the scent whenever we opened the window nearest it!

I've googled a bit but not found it, nor determined what pruning group
it's in. So, any clues welcome, what should I do with it now? It's a bit
of a tangled mess but I can see what looks like old wood deep inside.
I've snipped off a couple of straggly bits but does it need a hard prune
or just a haircut? It would be great if it did all that again next
spring.

I like the sound of this; highly fragrant, pale mauve. I've not
encountered a clematis montana which fits that description, but if
anyone can name it, I want one! TIA
I do agree that otherwise the description sounds very like montana.
You can prune it or not prune it. A relative had one growing up two
storeys to his roof. he cut it down to the ground. It came back in
abundance!

Pam in Bristol