Old 23-05-2011, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wild plant ID please

"Lol" wrote in message
We have a patch in our garden, next to the pond, that is allowed to to go
completely wild.
Whatever wants to happen, let it be.
A dominant focus plant has appeared, about 4ft tall, spikey stems and some
spikes on the leaves.
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...d%20garden.JPG
I find it very striking - will it flower? - whats its name, please?
thanks,
Lol

It's a teasel. It will have a large spiky seedhead that goldfinches love to
feed from. It does not flower in the true sense of the word.
In days gone by the teasel head used to used to comb raw sheep's wool for
spinning.
You might find this link interesting:
http://www.cvni.org/wildflowernurser...flowers/teasel

Tina