Old 23-05-2011, 11:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
While I am here can I
pick some brains, a neighbour had a good sized load off our muck heap some
years ago, she has only just told me that the muck was infested with red
spider/red mite - are they the same thing - and they ruined her vegetables
because they ate all her potatoes ?
That sounds very bizarre.

Red spider, which is really red spider mite, is, as I'm sure you know, a minute sap sucking creature which is a particular nuisance in greenhouses. It like hot dry environments, and I can't imaging it being carried in muck, nor could it "eat potatoes".

So presumably she's talking about some other pest? Googling "red mite" shows them to be a pest of chickens, but they don't eat potatoes either.