Old 24-05-2011, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Weather in NY

On May 20, 5:13*pm, Nad R wrote:
PhoenixWench wrote:
On 5/18/2011 6:05 PM, Chris wrote:
On May 16, 7:05 pm, *wrote:
On May 16, 6:51 pm, *wrote:

A week of temps in the 50s. Rain off and on, and fog most of the time.
My peas, lettuce, and broccoli are loving life out there, but my poor
cuke, tomato, pepper, eggplant, and such seedlings are whining at me
from the window, "We want sun! We want sun!"

Sigh.

You can please some of the garden some of the time, the rest of the
garden some other time, but give up on pleasing all of the garden all
of the time...

Chri

Have a Jimmy Dean breakfast product and maybe Mother Nature will start
to cooperate
I don't know where you are in New York but I spent most of my in the
Binghamton area so I remember your pain. Hang in there, June will be
there before you know it.
MJ

I'm in Rockaway- New York City.

And I swear some of those lettuce plants have doubled in size in the
last 3 days.

Chris

Hi - I'm in the NY Catskills, and haven't seen more than a few fleeting
minutes of sun in so long my joke is that I don't need to wear eyeshadow
- the green mildew is doing the job :-(

I'm glad I didn't waste money and time starting seeds or buying plants
yet - the ground is so consistently soggy the only thing growing is weeds and fungi :-P

Oh well, we had a wet Spring a couple years ago that abruptly turned into
premature August, so next week I plan to take my wallet and heart in hand
and get some starts - tomatoes, peppers and petunias mostly, and hope for the best.

The weather map right now looks more like a Nor' Easter than a "normal"
Spring pattern, but that can change - and usually does, so I keep hoping ;-)

It is bad here in Michigan also. My garden area is sill muck. My lawn was
mowed today and was very tall and wet clumps and tire streaks left behind..
Today was a nice day got up to 70F. Tomorrow looks nice also. Scattered
Rain for Sunday thru Wednesday. Will it ever dry out?

At least my rain barrels are full incase of a early dry pattern.

--NAD, do you put anything in your rain barrels to avoid mosquitoes or other contamination? Like bleach or something else? Of course it would have to be "mild" enough not to harm plants when it is eventually poured on them.

HB