Old 23-05-2011, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Septoria on tumbling toms?

"Jennings" wrote in message

Hi Guys,

I am a novice. I have grown some tumbling toms this year, having never
tried anything like this before.

I grew them from seed and was delighted with their progress. I put them
outside about 9 days ago and was horrified to see what I know think is
septoria on the leaves.

They are all in pots but all appear to have these spots. I am soooo
disappointed.

The pots are new and the compost is new. I dont have any potatoes or
anything else in my garden.

1. Is this likely to be septoria?
2. Can I do anything about it?
a. Maybe take a cutting from a healthy bit?
b. Use a fungicide? If so, is there one I can get from a garden
centre?

This describes it and has pictures
http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A2606.PDF
however it also states that infection (along with early blight) is most
likely during periods of moderate temperature and abundant rainfall.

This prompts me to ask for your location in the UK and your recent weather.

I have seen little spots on the leaves of young tomato plants when they go
outside, especially when it is a bit cool, but they seem to survive O.K.

You may be over reacting to the check the tomatoes get when they move
outside to much harsher conditions.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)