Old 24-05-2011, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Can rootstock be grown when scion fails?

On Mon, 23 May 2011 23:40:24 -0600, "Suzanne"
wrote:

I live in southern Utah, zone 7-8.

Last spring I bought four dwarf citrus trees in pots. I left them out in a
frost before bringing them inside, and three of the four ended up dying.
Before I knew that they were dead, I removed suckers from the rootstock, but
eventually I just gave up. Now there are a ton of healthy suckers and no
tree.

The suckers are obviously citrus, though I don't know if they are the same
exact kinds as the scions.

They are not the same, otherwise why would anybody bother grafting?
The rootstock will be selected for resistance to root disease and in
your case dwarfing, not for fruit quality.

My question is, would it be worthwhile to just
cut the tree off right above the graft, and then let these suckers grow into
a new tree? I understand that the rootstock is often not the best quality,
but even a poorly-producing citrus tree would be better than none.

I await opinions, with thanks in adavnce...
--S.

Not worth the trouble in my view.

David