Old 24-05-2011, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Wind

Kate Morgan;922571 Wrote:
While I am here can I
pick some brains, a neighbour had a good sized load off our muck heap
some
years ago, she has only just told me that the muck was infested with
red
spider/red mite - are they the same thing - and they ruined her
vegetables
because they ate all her potatoes ?

That sounds very bizarre.

Red spider, which is really red spider mite, is, as I'm sure you know, a
minute sap sucking creature which is a particular nuisance in
greenhouses. It like hot dry environments, and I can't imaging it being
carried in muck, nor could it "eat potatoes".

So presumably she's talking about some other pest? Googling "red mite"
shows them to be a pest of chickens, but they don't eat potatoes either.

kay

Thank you Dave and Kay your input has helped me a great deal. I thought that
the neighbour was wrong but I needed to be clear in my own mind so that I
could stand firm if she starts on about it again. I am afraid she complains
about most things and I am in the firing line at the moment :-)

kate