Old 24-05-2011, 01:16 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennings View Post

Here are the answers to your questions.
- I got the septoria idea from googling 'tomato spots'. The description of septoria wasn't a perfect match - but it looked close from the images.

- I libe in the NW of England. The weather had been very nice - but lateley has turned slightly cooler with wind and rain.

Some other facts:-
All the plants (around 10) have the markings.
Mainly on lower branches.
I did keep the tomatoes under a pergola (with ivy on it for a week).
I didn't do any hardening off.

Thanks again for any help.
It's early to be putting them out in the NW - it's possible to get frost up to first week of June

Some mineral deficiencies can cause spots on leaves.

All the web references to it seem to originate in the US - I haven't heard of it in the UK. Doesn't mean to say it doesn't happen.

One reference seemed to suggest that, not only do the leaves need to be wet to be infected, the temperature also needs to reach 60 deg. I'm not sure it's done that in the N of England in recent weeks!

This will sound callous, but you have to be prepared for disappointments in gardening. There will rarely be a year where everything goes to plan. At least one of your crops will fail.