Old 24-05-2011, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Can rootstock be grown when scion fails?

Derald wrote:
"Suzanne" wrote:

The suckers are obviously citrus, though I don't know if they are the same
exact kinds as the scions. My question is, would it be worthwhile to just
cut the tree off right above the graft, and then let these suckers grow into
a new tree? I understand that the rootstock is often not the best quality,
but even a poorly-producing citrus tree would be better than none.

Although, not likely to be a true "Seville" orange, the rootstock is almost
certain to be a sour or "bittersweet" orange. Sour orange rootstock is used for
its vigorous growth, adaptability to a wide range of growing conditions and --
as you've experienced -- cold-hardiness. It'll be a number of years before the
tree bears; tradition says seven but reality says three-to-four. Pimply skin,
relatively thick pulp, flavorful but not at all sweet. On its own, inedible to
most folks but a key ingredient in sauces ("mojo") in Caribbean/Hispanic
cooking.

Bittersweet oranges are great for baking and canning purposes. Okay for
juice alternate to lemon or lime juice. If you can eat a lemon or lime
out of hand you'll be able to eat a bittersweet orange out of hand,
don't expect to find them useful for that.