Old 24-05-2011, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Turning a concrete terraced yard into a garden

On Tue, 24 May 2011 16:41:45 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 24/05/2011 13:55, redbush wrote:
Hi,

I currently have an average sized concrete terraced yard with about 15
pot plants in. It's north facing but gets a reasonable amount of
sunlight. I'm thinking about what I can do to make it "more green", and
to attract more wildlife. I would like to retain the shed and decking.
Currently we get visits from blue tits, robins, slugs, bees, blue bottle
flies, and ladybirds in small numbers.

I would like a patch of lawn but there doesn't seem space for it. Also
anything that involved digging up the concrete would probably be
expensive.

Small lawns are a lot of hassle for no great benefit. Try growing some

A man on the car boot was recently selling off cuts of astroturf.. All
the look and none of the mowing

of the nectar rich flowers recommended in the butterflies thread and
scented annual climbers like sweet pea and morning glory on the sunny
side. If you are patient hydrangea petiolaris will do very well on a
north facing wall. Things that are a drought tolerant will be less
trouble in containers like thyme, rosemary, chives and sedum spectabile.

Does anyone have an ideas for things such as lawns,water
features,beds,particular plants that would make my yard more green?!

Any chance of breaking down to soil level up against the wall so you
could plant some of the climbers into the ground?

More of the same sort of container planting after choosing a theme
colour for them would be one way to go.

Regards,
Martin Brown

--