Old 24-05-2011, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Turning a concrete terraced yard into a garden

On May 24, 7:26*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On 2011-05-24 18:25:13 +0100, "'Mike'" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
snip

""or using that plastic stuff
which would be totally 'wrong' in an old enclosure like yours""

Well you would say that after I had posted that the OP might consider
it
wouldn't you?

:-)))

Yes, it's a perfectly ghastly idea and indescribably naff. Imagine
advising someone to use plastic grass in a lovely old courtyard like
that.
At least it bears out my earlier comment that people taking advice from
you do so at their own risk.
--
Sacha
South Devon

snip

I sometimes wonder if her family are aware of her antagonistic/paranoid
postings are known to them and whether I should write to her family.

Mike

Please do write to my family, Mike. They already know about you. And
at the same time, why don't you ring AGAIN, the chap who provided the
rope for our garden? Remember how scathing and sneering you were about
us doing that a few years ago? And then he - quite innocently - told
me you rang him to check up on whether he actually knew of us. What a
silly fool you make of yourself over and over again. You are, most
truly your own worst enemy as you expose your pathetic neediness over
and over again.
One of these days you'll grasp the tenets of the urg charter with
regard to mentioning garden related businesses in posts. I doubt I,
or any of the nursery owners here who you do NOT pick on (possibly
because they're male and you so obviously hate women) are very
concerned as to your opinion. I know I'm not. Any old man like
yourself who spends years persecuting a woman around newsgroups and
ringing total strangers to check up on her, is so weird as to invite
nothing but pity or contempt.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

To answer the Question.
I'd get a load of concrete blocks, or old scaffold planks or decking
boards, then along the wall I'd build a trough just one block high
about 8 inches from the wall, and I'd punch some holes (about 2" will
do) through the concrete, or drill them, to give some drainage and to
let roots go down if they want.
I'd also build some raised troughs round your decking.
You could build a cluster of them of different heights, with drainage
in the base again, but leaving one without drainage, line it and use
it as a water feature.
As for your bin, have a look at these 2 siteshttp://www.gardenstorage.org..uk/wheelie-bin-covers.htmlhttp://www.wheelie-bin-covers.co.uk/media.html
Or search google for Wheelie bin covers.
David Hill
.................................................. .........................

David the bin is still 'the bin'. I feel it would be a lot better hiding it
in the shed if possible, or as we suggested earlier, having a trough or
something and a trellis and 'concealing it' in its own little bin area.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Mike
As it looks as if the decking goes from the end wall to the shed there
isn't any place to park it, and if the shed is like mine then there is
no room inside, also in hot weather it will smell more if it is
inside..