Old 25-05-2011, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

Default Can rootstock be grown when scion fails?

"Derald" wrote in message

Although, not likely to be a true "Seville" orange, the rootstock is
almost
certain to be a sour or "bittersweet" orange. Sour orange rootstock is
used for
its vigorous growth, adaptability to a wide range of growing conditions
and --
as you've experienced -- cold-hardiness.

[snip]

Interesting stuff. Are bittersweet oranges used for most citrus rootstock,
or just for oranges? My three dead trees were Eureka lemon, Bearss lime,
and Rio Red grapefruit.

I might as well just keep them around and see what happens. It would cost
me some water and time, and I could plant them right in the ground instead
of hauling them around in pots. Even if I can't use the fruit, it might be
nice to have the fragrant leaves and possibly flowers too.
--S.