Old 25-05-2011, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Blackcurrants...

On 24/05/2011 19:41, Dave Hill wrote:
On May 24, 2:17 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2011 13:35:57 +0100, Martin Brown

wrote:
On 24/05/2011 13:15, mogga wrote:
It's going to take me until autumn to prepare the ground - but I was
wondering when it's done if it's better to have the bed as earth to
mulch over or to allow grass to grow and then mow it...

I suspect I don't need more than 3 bushes either as there's a limit to
how much jam I can make! (Unless anyone has a recipe for vimto...)

Worth growing Jostaberries as well provided you can net them. Gooseberry
x Blackcurrant. Think blackcurrants on steroids and you are not far out.
Much less topping and tailing needed for a pies worth.

oo - sounds like a plan!

I should have said I have had Jostaberries for almost 10 years and am
yet to have any fruit, they set and ripen fruit but the birds pick it
at around 5am, mine have grown up to around 8ft.

I should perhaps have added that you have to net them if you want to eat
any of the crop. Birds will kill for them. Our hens used to sometimes
find a way in and then jump up into the bush to get berries too it was
very funny to watch.

Blueberries are also good to grow if you have suitable soil or in a pot.
(again have to be netted)

Not mentioned so far but of the other things to grow on an allotment
raspberries red and some yellow would be my first choice to plant. They
are always really good value and the birds find them harder to pinch.

Regards,
Martin Brown