Old 25-05-2011, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Ripe Tomatoes

" wrote:

On May 24, 1:28*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2011 08:52:58 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
How long does it take tomatoes to ripen once they have stopped growing
in size?

I think your variables are
1. Variety
2. temperature
3. ?? sunshine?

I've picked full grown tomatoes on Sept 12 & eaten them on
Thanksgiving. [once-- not worth doing again]

OTOH- I've picked all the 'even close to ripe' ones, gone on vacation
for two weeks, and found lots of over-ripe tomatoes on the ground.

Jim

They are Jetsetters and Big Beef. They are in a greenhouse so they
gets lots of sun and it is quite warm. I am in North Carolina

Never did Jetsetters- but a WAG on the Big Beef is 'a couple weeks'--
though it will seem like a month.

If you just want 'red'- you can do what the grocers do and gas
them.g Put one in a paper bag with an apple. It won't help the
flavor, but it will redden it up.

Have some fried green tomatoes in the meantime. [Pick a blemished
tomato from a heavily laden branch.] Probably just my imagination,
but it makes me feel like I'm hastening the ripening process by
picking some.

Jim
[and count your NC blessings. I'm lucky to see a ripe tomato by July
15]
Jim