Old 25-05-2011, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Tree ID and Advice

On 2011-05-25 12:59:15 +0100, Dave Hill said:

On May 25, 12:22*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in message

louisxiv wrote in ...
Hi folks

The tree in attached image is of sentimental value and I'd like to kno

what it is and how to take a cutting from it or propogate it by any
means.

It was covered until recently in pink blossom.

TIA for any advice.

MA

http://tinypic.com/r/vf8jlg/7

Looks very much like Winter Flowering Cherry to me.

Mike

http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/winter_flowering_cherry

Just chopped ours down, too big for our tiny garden.

The neighbour had some of the wood for woodturning ;-))

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

It is some form of Columnar Flowering Prunus Trees, not easy to
propagate, but most certainly not a winter flowering cherry.

Hmm.

It's an odd columnar shape right enough: http://tinypic.com/r/mlgfmf/7

I'd guessed it was a cherry tree of some kind and was delighted to have
this confirmed. Now I'm having doubts due to Dave's post. Any second
opinions?

There is such a tree in my garden. It has grown very high. It is a
very attractive tree when in flower. It requires no help apart from an
annual "trim" by a tree surgeon. It produces a lot of suckers which I
remove every year though I did let one grow a few years ago and gave
it to a friend just to see what would happen. It is now about 20 feet
tall but doesn't flower.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com