Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave Millman

Default substrate gravel too coarse?

linda mar wrote:

Hi all,

as I was planting the aquarium, I have become aware that the gravel I have
is probably a bit too coarse for the plants. like, I can't seem to keep
blubs from dislodging itself, every time I try to plant near one (4in away)
that's already in the gravel, ones nearby gets dislodged etc...

will this become a problem once the roots are allowed to settle? the gravel
is pea-sized standard aquarium gravel...

It is probably too coarse. Recommended size is 2-3mm, while peas are more like
4-10mm. What you are experiencing now will continue to happen, only slightly
less so if the roots can get established.