Old 25-05-2011, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default which fish ??

"zuhayr-123" wrote

Thanks a lot for you quick reply.
another question, one of the aquatic centres close to me sell shark
fish, like ruby sharks or red tail sharks and they've kept them in tanks
so I don’t think they would be able to survive in ponds but just to see
if I’m right or not could any one of you please confirm it to me whether
or not they will be able to live??

and also i know now im definetly getting Goldfish but could you please
give me a few names for which ones to get considering on how hardy they
are

Waiting for your reply

I don't recognise these "Shark Fish" you mention, certainly Red Tailed
Sharks are a tropical fish and could not live in an outside pond in anywhere
other than the tropics. Are they perhaps Sterlets, small sturgeon, which are
too big for your pond?
The normal Goldfish are perfectly hardy as are the varieties Comet and
Shubunkin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shubunkin
The only problem is they will interbreed.

Other more ornately finned fish like Rancho, Veiltail, Lionhead, Moor, Wakin
etc., are a lot less hardy and will suffer badly during prolonged exposure
to cold weather like, for example, a normal British winter.
I once was given the only Lionhead to survive in a whole shipment of fish
imported from abroad, that fish remarkably survived for about 4 years in my
Koi pond, getting quite big, but an extra cold winter caused it swim bladder
problems and it died.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden