Old 26-05-2011, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Can rootstock be grown when scion fails?

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

check the nursery folks to see where
they get theirs or maybe they'll have
one that failed around... they gotta
get them from someplace to use for
their grafting after all.

The retail nurseries within a reasonable distance of me are just that:
Retail (resellers, for the most part) and the prices are high. May as well shop
at the Home Depot! However, one citrus nursery about 60 miles distant sells sour
oranges (most commercial citrus farmers will not); I just don't want to pay
shipping, that's all ;-). It's on the "next time I'm down that way" list. Nice
to have but not a pressing "need". Ironically, I have a cousin who has several
hundred acres of oranges. I rarely see him and it never has occurred to me to
ask; DUH!

*laughs* isn't that how life goes... haha.
good one.

Where I live now is too far north for me to want to fool with oranges.
Protecting the English peas and a damnable staghorn fern from freezing is enough
of a chore! The last of the commercial citrus growers were frozen out in the
late '80's. Former grove acreage through which one drives to get here from the
south is now planted pine trees or houses. A cold-hardy bittersweet would be
nice to have, I guess; just never have pursued it.

why damnable? because it's so finicky? or
you simply don't like the plant?

only plant here that i have to protect is the
rosemary plant that i bring in for the winter.
almost time to put it back out.

songbird