Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Nestor 10

Default Adjusting RO water

Dave Millman wrote in message ...

My plant tank flourishes on pure RO water. I reconstitute
as follows, per weekly 20 gallon (30%) water change:

2 teaspoons Kent RO Right
1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate (actually baking soda,
restores KH)
2ml Prime (neither RO filter nor charcoal prefilter removes
chloramines)

This keeps my tank at KH2, GH2, perfect for breeding
soft water fish.

I hate to break it to you, but once you add all these chemicals you end up
with what's classed as "artificial freshwater" - not pure RO. RO's only what
you're _starting_ with...

--
-Y-

Nestor 10

".chkr" is for mail-bots

Recommendation: Pick your target GH, probably around 4, and reconstitute

your
water with RO Right to meet that target according to the label directions.

4KH
is also a pretty good, as it gives you a good buffer for future CO2 usage.

If
you have evaporation between water changes, refill with pure RO.

Here are two really good discussions of the relationship of KH, CO2 and pH

from
Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...readm=1f2t2ny.
q0nqcgswq090N%25wuggamom%40yahoo.com&rnum=7&prev=/&frame=on

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...readm=7ed3be%2
4t3a%241%40nnrp1.dejanews.com&rnum=10&prev=/&frame=on