Old 26-05-2011, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Dwarf Tomato Issues

brgsstm said:

I have been watering them daily with quite a lot of water. Could this
be the issue? I have been adding plant food to the water too. I also
have sprayed the leaves with the plant food infused water too. I'm
beginning to think that wasn't a good idea?

My Chilli plant seems to be doing ok though. I planted 3 in this pot
but 2 germinated and died. The remaining plant seems to be doing ok
though.

Oh, my. You are killing them with kindness. Too much water, and
too much fertilizer.

"Plant food" is a misnomer. Better you should think of them as "plant
vitamins and minerals." That it, something that is neccessary, but in
small quantities. Plants make their own "food" from air and sunlight
(and water).

You might also want to consider potting the tomatoes up into an
even larger container eventually. Even "dwarf" tomatoes like a bit
more room for their roots than that container would provide.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored